Assistant Director of Development and Growth (Poynton)
- Application closing date: 18 May 2018 15:07
Purpose of Role
- To support the Executive Director of Homes & Services in the formulation of Development Strategies.
- To lead the delivery of Development Strategies pursuant to the targets and objectives in the Business Plan, including sales and disposals.
- To provide clear leadership in inspiring high performance, responsibility, accountability, challenge, efficiency and cross-organisational working.
- To contribute effectively to the development and improvement of services across the organisation as a member of the Extended Executive Team.
- To generate new business and development opportunities.
- To lead the development, delivery and continuous improvement of the approved development programme against agreed targets.
- To develop and maintain key stakeholder relationships with Local Authorities, Homes England and the private sector.
- To lead the preparation and development of funding bids.
- To position Johnnie Johnson Housing brand as the key Independent Living residential developer across the North.
- As a member of the Extended Executive Team, ensure that a co-ordinated approach is taken to growth and enterprise projects and opportunities through using a consistent approach to appraising opportunities.
- Lead the identification of new business and development opportunities purusant to achieving strategic objectives and business plan targets for, but not limited to, the development of affordable housing including Affordable Rent, Shared Ownership, S106 and housing for market rent and market sale.
- Lead on the development and implementation of business plan and growth strategy for Johnnie Johnson Development Limited and to deliver opportunities within JJH for continued private and affordable housing development.
- Lead on identifying a consistent land supply, create and deliver joint venture opportunities and grow the JJH home building programme in line with corporate strategy.
- Work with the Assistant Director of Finance and IT to ensure the impact of New Homes and Investment activity is deliverable within the JJH Business Plan and is regularly monitored.
- Lead on communications for all development schemes and liaison with marketing and sales (from development perspective (and to include award submissions).
- Networking and horizon scan new markets, products, partners, joint ventures, funding sources and multi tenure development opportunities.
- Utilise/develop, maintain and report on effective development models, cashflow models and viability assessments. The post holder will have responsibility for ensuring schemes are viable, deliverable and achievable within both the JJH, and JJDL Business Plans.
- Represent JJH on all our partnership delivery models, ensuring that JJH is positioned as an effective, reliable and innovative partner, and that JJH financial and business interests are served and enhanced through membership of the Partnership.
- Effectively manage finance for all areas of responsibility including setting, monitoring and controlling budgets in accordance with the business plan and standing orders.
- Manage and monitor appropriate performance targets for all employees within the Development Team, external consultants and monitor key areas of departmental activity to ensure continuous improvement.
- Lead the preparation of bids for funding, programmes land, new schemes and wider opportunities with agreed timescales and financial parameters.
- Manage the development, Sales risk registers and support the Executive Director of Homes & Services in formulating the corporate risk register.
- To administer programmes and projects in accordance with internal strategic priorities and external audit and funding requirements.
- Lead all aspects of Homes England liaison through our Accent Consortia Partnership:- Oversee IMS, Quarterly returns, delivery, audits, grant claims and management, Continued HCA Compliance (including all NROSH, IMS etc returns).
- Ensure resident/customer involvement in development projects is at the heart of what JJH do. Obtain resident feedback on new schemes.
- Ensure that feasibility studies and financial appraisals of schemes are undertaken in line with agreed finance and development procedures and financial parameters and risk management framework.
- To take responsibility for your own health and safety and that of your Development colleagues in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974), whilst following JJH’s Health and Safety policies and procedures at all times. Ensure compliance with CDM Regulations.
- To work in a variety of locations including premises not directly under the control of JJH.
- Some flexibility over working hours is necessary to meet the requirements of the job.
- To work with JJH and JJDL Boards including performance/scheme/procurement reports in relation to Development Programmes, including high level Board advice.
Education & Qualifications
Qualified to degree level or equivalent, professional or academic qualification in Housing and or Property related fields and evidence of continuing professional development.
Experience, Knowledge and Understanding
- Significant experience of leading on Development and Growth strategies at a senior level.
- Significant experience in land acquisition and/or property development.
- Strong and broad external land/property/development networks.
- In depth experience of financial appraisal and feasibility assessment of development opportunities.
- Experience of building and maintaining strong relationships with stakeholders, contractors and consultants.
- A track record of generating and delivering new business opportunities.
- Experience of working in partnership with a range of statutory, voluntary agencies and the business community.
- A successful track record of influencing, giving professional advice and building effective and productive working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of working with Board members and Resident representatives.
- Detailed knowledge of the design and construction processes.
- Experience of delivering strategic and cultural change and designing and leading improvement projects.
- Experience of successfully managing and leading a high performing team.
- Interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships, together with the ability to represent JJH positively in dealings with outside parties and partnerships.
- The ability to handle competing priorities and a challenging workload within a pressurised working environment.
- Ability to draft working procedures and relevant policies.
- Ability to plan, organise, exercise judgement and work on own initiative.
- Experience of deputising for a Director.
- Understanding of relationship and interdependence between Asset Management and Development.
- Experience of working for a Registered Provider or Developer.
- Employment Type: Permanent
- Hours: 35
- Pay: £65,000 Annually