Discretionary housing payments (DHPs) can provide extra money when your council decides that you need extra help to meet your housing costs.

Your council will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. They will decide whether to give you a DHP, how much you will be paid and for how long you will receive the payment.

Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming either housing benefit or universal credit with housing costs towards rental liability

You cannot get a DHP to help with council tax, although some councils run similar funds alongside their local Council Tax Support schemes.


The government has given councils funding to give DHPs to people who have been impacted by welfare reforms including:

  • the benefit cap
  • removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector
  • changes to Local Housing Allowance  rates, including the 4 year freeze

Some people may qualify for longer term support but this would need to be discussed with your council.

How can a payment be used?

You may be given a DHP to cover housing costs, such as:

  • a rent shortfall, for example, as a result of welfare reforms – for further information visit https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit
  • rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home

How do I make a claim?

For assistance with making a claim for DHP you can contact The Customer Services HUB on 0345 305 5335 or contact incomeservices@jjhousing.co.uk 

Alternatively, you can apply direct to your local council. To find their contact details please refer to any letters you have received from them, or check online here.