Your safety is the most important thing to us and it is a legal requirement for us to carry out regular gas safety checks on your home. We will always book an appointment with you either by letter or telephone and where possible we will do what we can to arrange your appointment at a time that suits you.
It is important that you allow us access into your home to complete these checks, doing so forms part of your tenancy agreement. Johnnie Johnson Housing is legally required to carry out and record an annual gas safety check on each gas appliance and flue within your home. An appliance safety check is necessary to make sure that the appliances you are using are safe and comply with regulations.
We will check the following:
- Gas appliances are correctly set and adjusted to make sure the gas is burning correctly.
- Gas appliances are suitable for the room in which they are located.
- Gas appliances are physically stable, securely fitted and properly connected to the gas pipework.
- Gas appliances have an adequate and permanent air supply suitable for the appliance type installed.
- Any flues or chimneys are operating correctly.
- All safety devices function correctly.
If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak inside a property…
Immediately call the National Gas Emergency Service number on 0800 111 999.
The following actions will help keep you and the property safe:
- DO open doors and windows to ventilate the property.
- DO turn off the gas at the mains tap. This can usually be located near the gas meter and has a handle that can be turned 90 degrees.
- DO leave the property and wait for National Gas Emergency Service to arrive.
- DON’T enter if the gas leak is in a cellar or basement.
- DON’T turn any power or light switches on or off.
- DON’T light any sort of flame within the property.
- DON’T use any appliances that could cause a spark.
Sometimes a gas leak can lead to you feeling physical symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, nausea and headaches. These symptoms should ease when you leave the property, however we’d advise that you visit your GP as a precaution if you’ve been exposed to a gas leak.
Do you know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide?
Faulty gas appliances can release carbon monoxide, which is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas, so it’s difficult to detect.
What is it?
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels including gas, oil, coal or wood don’t burn properly. Some gas appliances can cause carbon monoxide including free-standing gas heaters, gas cookers and gas fires.
Who is at risk?
Carbon monoxide is harmful and potentially fatal. It can affect anyone, so it’s important to know the signs and symptoms to look out for. Make sure your appliances are tested every year.
Signs and symptoms
A tension-type headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning.
Other symptoms include:
- Feeling and being sick
- Tiredness and confusion
- Stomach pain
- Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
It’s worth remembering some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to viral infections or tiredness, so try not to panic. If you experience any of these symptoms, visit your GP.