Universal Credit (UC) - What is it and how will it affect me?

Universal credit has started to replace a range of benefits and tax credits for people of working age. UC brings together the following six manin legacy benefits, including tax credits into one monthly payment, including help with your rent.

  • Income based jobsekkers allowance
  • Income related employment support allowance
  • Income support
  • Child tax credit
  • Working tax credit
  • Housing benefits

Universal credit is for anyone on a low to moderate income. It does not matter whether you are in work, the number of hours you work or if you are out of work but seeking employment, caring, or too ill to work.   pete

Any benefits you receive which are not included in the above list will continue to be paid as usual, such as child benefit, carers allowance, personal independence payment, council tax support and so on.

Universal credit will not affect you, if you and your partner (if applicable) are pension credit age. 

We've pulled together some guidance that may help answer your questions and help you in preparation for the switch over to UC:

If there is anything you are unsure of please contact our income services team on 0345 305 5335 or email incomeservices@jjhousing.co.uk.