You could get between £100 - £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 May 1953. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

You can claim Winter Fuel Payment for 2017 to 2018 until 31 March 2018.

You usually get a winter fuel payment automatically if you get the state pension or another social security benefit, not including housing benefit, council tax reduction, child benefit or universal credit.

If you qualify but don’t get paid automatically, you’ll need to make a claim. To qualify for a winter fuel payment the following criteria needs to be met:

  • You are qualifying age for pension credit in the week beginning third monday in september (qualifying week)
  • Ordinarily a resident in UK
  • If a claim is required, you claim in time and you are not excluded from payment under the rules below


If in qualifying week any of the following applies then there is no entitlement:

  • You are serving a custodial sentence
  • You have been receiving free inpatient treatment for more than 52 weeks in hospital or other institution
  • You are receiving a means tested benefit  i.e. pension credit, job seekers allowance, employment & support allowance and you are living in residential care
  • You are subject to immigration control

How to claim

Payment should automatically be made if a payment was made in the previous year, if state retirement pension is in payment or any other social security benefit in the qualifying week.

Otherwise to claim, telephone 0345 915 1515 before 31 March 2018.  For more information click here.